The American Sudanese Archaeological Research Center (AmSARC) announces a graduate/postdoctoral fellowship in support of research in Sudan. Award will be made for a maximum of $1500. Projects in the fields of archaeology and cultural heritage are eligible. The purpose of the fellowship is to assist with travel and/or living expenses in Sudan. During the fellowship, the fellow is expected to give an AmSARC-sponsored presentation related to their research. The fellow is expected to acknowledge AmSARC in any publications and presentations that include research carried out during the fellowship.
Please complete and submit the application form along with a project statement of not more than 3 pages, work schedule, itemized budget and curriculum vitae by June 1, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject, “AmSARC Fellowship.” Two letters of recommendation must also be submitted directly to AmSARC from the recommenders. All application materials must be received by June 1, 2021 in order for the applicant to be considered for the fellowship.
Terms and Conditions:
- The AmSARC Graduate/Postdoctoral Fellowship is limited to AmSARC members: student, individual or institutional members. If your current institution is not a member, you can sign up for a student membership for $10, or individual membership for $50. Information about membership can be found: amsarc.org/membership
- Fellow must complete the fellowship by May 31, 2022*. Any unused funds must be returned to AmSARC by this date.
- Fellow must submit a report to AmSARC within 30 days of fellowship completion and no later than June 30, 2022.
- Applicants must either be a graduate student enrolled in accredited degree-granting programs in the US or postdoctoral/junior scholars who have received their PhD since 2016.
- Fellowships will be awarded to US citizens and US permanent residents only. Proof of citizenship or permanent resident status (i.e., photocopy of passport) must be provided.
- Fellow is expected to contact the AmSARC representative in Sudan as soon as possible upon arrival.
- Given changing travel restrictions and/or travel warnings, fellow should contact AmSARC prior to purchasing airfare.
- AmSARC does not advise fellows on tax questions related to the award funds. Recipients are responsible for paying all taxes related to their awards. Fellowship funds are generally considered income in the United State and therefor must be reported to the tax authorities. AmSARC bears no responsibility for withholding or remitting taxes related to the award.
*In case of disruptions due to COVID and/or travel restrictions, awardee may request a delay.
AmSARC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, disability, medical condition, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, or stats as a veteran.
Fellows will be selected by the AmSARC Advisory Board and will be judged by the following criteria:
- Merits of the proposal – significance, relevance, and potential contribution to scholarly research
- Applicant qualifications to complete the proposed research
- Research design and methodology
- Feasibility in terms of resources and amount of time allocated to the project
- Need for residence in Sudan to accomplish the project
Notification of fellowship status will be communicated to applicants via email in July 2021.