Based on our research and collaboration with the Sudanese institutions in Sudan, the American Sudanese Archaeological Research Center (AmSARC) announces two scholarships for MA and PhD students for programs conducted in Sudan. Award will be made for a maximum of $600 for the PhD program and $300 for the MA program. Degrees focused on research in the fields of archaeology and cultural heritage are eligible. The purpose of the scholarship is to create more opportunities and assist with postgraduate educational programs in Sudan. The award will be paid directly to the institutions to offset fees and in Sudanese currency in two payments during the academic program. The duration standard in Sudanese institutions for the MA and PhD programs is 2 & 3 years, respectively. The first payment will be paid after the registration and the second by the middle of the program. During the postgraduate program, the student is expected to give an AmSARC-sponsored presentation related to their research in either English or Arabic. The fellow is expected to acknowledge AmSARC in any publications and presentations that include research carried out during the study program.
Please prepare your application as Word or PDF document with the following information:
- Project Title
- Applicant name, mailing address, phone number, email address
- Previous degree information (degree, department, university, date completed)
- Current degree information (degree, department, university, date admitted, proposed completion date)
- Brief description of research project (100 words)
- Proposal of research for MA or PhD program (no more than 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae
Also, please send:
- One letter of recommendation (sent directly from recommender to email@example.com)
- Evidence of enrollment and fees statement from the current university
Please submit the application by December 1, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject, “AmSARC scholarship-Sudan.” One letter of recommendation must also be submitted directly to AmSARC from the supervisor and evidence of enrollment and fees statement from the current university. Foreign co-supervision is permitted if needed for topical expertise. All application materials must be received by December 1, 2022 in order for the applicant to be considered for the scholarship.
Terms and Conditions:
- The AmSARC Graduate/Postdoctoral Fellowship and scholarship are limited to AmSARC members. Sudanese students and individuals may request complementary membership in the organization. Information about membership can be found here: amsarc.org/membership.
- Student’s supervisor must submit a copy of the student progress in the program to release the second payment.
- Applicants must be a graduate student enrolled in accredited degree-granting programs in Sudan.
- Scholarships will be awarded to Sudanese citizens or permanent residents only.
- AmSARC does not advise fellows on tax questions related to the award funds. Recipients are responsible for paying all taxes related to their awards. AmSARC bears no responsibility for withholding or remitting taxes related to the award.
*In case of disruptions due to COVID and/or academic procedures in the Sudanese institutions, awardee may request a delay.
AmSARC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, disability, medical condition, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, or stats as a veteran.
Selection Process Awardees will be selected by the AmSARC Advisory Board and will be judged by the following criteria:
- Applicant qualifications for degree program
- Recommendation letter
Notification of fellowship status will be communicated to applicants via email in January 2023.